Friday

32 Week Checkup!!!! December 16, 2010

Baby Checkup:
            NO SCHOOL TODAY!  We had a small amount of freezing rain/sleet to hit the area overnight so Jon and I were pleased to get phone calls at 5:30 am informing us that we would have the day off!  Yet another perk of having the same profession as your Husband!!!  So, we turned off our alarms and went back to sleep for a few hours.  We checked out the roads at about 9:30 and they didn’t seem too bad so we decided to go ahead and get ready for my checkup at 11:20.  We headed to Evansville (roads were mostly clear) to see Dr. Ott!  Jon had to help me in and out of his truck.  Two reasons for this:
1.       I am now having difficulty climbing up into his truck with this big belly!
2.      There were still lots of ice patches on the pavement and gravel, so he wanted to make sure I didn’t slip and fall!  I felt like a little old lady walking across the parking lot with him holding on to me!
As usual, our doctor’s visit started with the nurse taking my blood pressure, urine sample, and weight!  My blood pressure was very low this time, 90/70, and the nurse even commented when taking it “I was beginning to wonder if you were still breathing!”  I gained 2 lbs. since my last visit so my total pregnancy weight gain is now 12 lbs!!!!  We went straight from there to our exam room.  Dr. Ott came in shortly after.  I had lots of questions this time!  I pulled out my phone and read from a long list I had made the night before!  She laughed and said, “It’s funny, no one uses pencil and paper anymore, they use their phones!”  Some of my questions:
1.      Why was my blood pressure so low and do I need to be concerned?
- Dr. Ott said during pregnancy your blood pressure fluctuates and it is ok because a little low is better than high!  Plus, my blood pressure tends to run lower anyway.  NO WORRIES!
2.      I am still having the same symptoms I had 2 weeks ago when I had to come in to Triage.  I finished the medicine for my UTI, but I don’t think anything has changed.
- Dr. Ott said that my urine sample showed a high white blood cell count which indicates I still have an infection.  She said that the antibiotic may not have worked and prescribed me a different one.  Hopefully this will work!  The associated symptoms took up about half of my list!
3.      I’m having hip pain now, is that normal?
-Unfortunately, yes and it probably won’t get better :(  Dr. Ott said this was in part from the widening of my hips to prepare for labor!  Funny, I thought my hips were wide enough!!! HAHA!
4.      I’m having lower back pain as well and it’s pretty much constant.
-Dr. Ott says this too is normal.  As my belly gets bigger I get more of a curve in my back to help support myself when standing and that puts a lot of pressure on the lower back.  She says this will likely not get any better either :(
5.      I feel EXTREMELY different today than just a few days ago.  Between all the movement, aches, pains, and discomfort, I don’t even feel like the same person!  Is this normal?
-Again, unfortunately, yes!  I’m getting to the point that all of the discomfort, aches and pains start occurring more frequently, if not consistently. 
6.      Last, I’m a first time Mommy and I am constantly worried about every ache, pain and symptom I have.  I am constantly wondering if what I am feeling is normal or if I should call you.  Can you tell me what is normal and what I should be aware of?
-The back pain, some cramping, and discomfort are normal.  You need to call in if you experience contractions or tightening of the uterus (she showed me where my uterus begins and how to tell), bleeding, or my water breaks.  Otherwise, if I have any questions and I’m just not sure go ahead and call because she said she would rather I have to come in 50 times for false alarms than not come 1 time when I should have!

Baby at 32 Weeks: 
By now, baby should weigh 3.75 pounds and is apparently the size of a large jicama (this is some type of root that looks kind of like a very large potato) and is about 16.7 inches long!  Baby is supposed to gain a third to half of her birth weight during the next 7 weeks as he fattens up for survival outside the womb. He now has toenails, fingernails, and real hair (or at least respectable peach fuzz). His skin is becoming soft and smooth as he plumps up in preparation for birth.

Recent Moments that Made Me Smile:  
On the way home from the doctor Thursday Jon and I were just chatting along and I noticed he was starting to veer off the road and then I heard those bumps on the edge of the parkway (the ones that tell you to get back over on the road!) and I looked at him and said, “Jon, you are running off the road!”  He turned and looked at the road and said, “Sorry, I was just sitting here looking at you.  You are so beautiful.  You have beautiful hair and a beautiful face and you are going to be a great Mommy!  I just got distracted!”  Needless to say after that I wasn’t too upset about him running off the road!  What a comeback!
            Second, I was babysitting Jace on Tuesday because we had a snow day but Henderson did not so Lindsay had to work.  That afternoon he was taking his nap.  I laid him down in mine and Jon’s bed and decided to lay beside him and rest while watching TV.  After about an hour he sat up, opened his eyes and looked at me and started crying.  Then he crawled up beside me, grabbed my shirt and dug his head into my shoulder (like he was snuggling) and fell right back to sleep!  For another hour I laid there with his head on my shoulder and my shirt clinched in his fist!  I loved every second of it! He is so precious!
            Third, Jon and I were emailing each other at work the other day.  He was telling me that he had posted up shop in the teacher’s lounge eating buckeyes that someone had brought.  He kept sending funny emails so I emailed him back and asked, “Are you high on buckeyes?” He responded, “No, I’m high on life bc of the most beautiful wife and baby boy on the way!!!”  To which I responded, “You are too cute, but I’m not feeling too beautiful these days.”  He replied, “More beautiful than I have ever seen you!!!!  You’ve got a glow about you!  It’s true!”  How amazing is he?  I LOVE HIM!
WE are getting soooo close!  Next checkup is in 2 weeks on December 29th!  We go December 27th for our pre-admission appointment where we fill out all the paperwork for the BIG DAY!  The secretary said we will fill out the "parent portion" of Jameson's birth certificate and they will take some other information from our Social Security cards, birth certificates, driver's license, etc!  WOW!  All this BIG stuff makes everything MORE and MORE exciting!!!  Can't wait for my little man!

(Pictures to come!)

No comments:

Post a Comment