Sunday

The BIG Scare! December 3, 2010

                Well, we had quite the scare this morning!  I had noticed a little fluid leaking last night and I woke up at 4 am with severe back and stomach cramps.  I took some Tylenol and tried to go back to bed.  I got up and got ready for work and headed in, thinking I would just call my Doctor when I got to work.  I called at 8:00 and the machine said phone hours didn’t begin until 8:15.  I went ahead to my downstairs classroom for Math and returned back to my office at 9:30 and called again.  I spoke with Dr. Ott’s nurse and told her my concerns about the leakage.  She asked if I had experienced any cramping and I told her about my middle of the night episode.  She consulted with Dr. Ott and she told me to come in to Triage immediately and have things checked out because I could potentially be leaking amniotic fluid.  She said she would notify them that I was coming.  I FREAKED OUT!!!!!  I was a disaster!  I decided to call my Mom first because I knew she was home and I was afraid if I called Jon at work crying, unable to breathe and talk he would have a stroke.  I called Mom and (kind of) got out that I had some problems and my doctor wanted me to come to Triage immediately and she needed to call Jon.  She said, “It’s ok, come home now and I’ll call Jon”.  I ran out the door and headed home.  About a minute later Jon called my cell phone in complete horror.  I was hysterical too so I can’t even remember what either of us said but he had jumped in his truck as soon as Mom called and headed home too.  We all met at the house, packed a quick “overnight” bag and ran out the door.
                When I got to the hospital they registered me and admitted me to a room.  First, I obviously had to put on a gown!  Next, the nurse came in and talked to me about my symptoms.  She put 2 bands around my belly, one to monitor the baby’s heart rate and the other to monitor my contractions (if I was having them).    She said she would give them a few minutes to monitor before checking them so she took my urine sample to run some tests.  She returned about 5 minutes later and looked at my monitor readings.  She said, “Ok, in the few minutes I was gone you had several mini contractions so I am going to go ahead and do a full battery of tests.”  Obviously, this freaked us out even more!  Jameson’s heart rate looked perfect though and he was very active (we could see him kicking the bands so I don’t think he liked them!), so that was somewhat comforting.  They decided to do a protein test that can detect whether I will go into labor within the next few weeks (how this works is beyond me, but it’s 99% accurate!).   They also checked my cervix to see if I was dilated, thankfully, I was not!  They ran another test to determine if the fluid I was leaking was amniotic fluid.  The nurse gave me a shot in the arm to stop my contractions, and boy was it painful!  She was great though, so nice and very informative!  They told us it would take about 2 hours to get the results so we sat in the room and played the waiting game.  I hadn’t eaten breakfast this morning because I was so upset and nervous and they informed me that I couldn’t eat again until they knew exactly what was going on.   Great, I was starving (and so was Baby Jameson)! Jon, Mom and I sat in the room and watched TV and said lots of prayers.  We got lots of texts and phone calls from people worried about Baby Jameson, and we are so thankful for everyone’s prayers! 
                At about 1:30 the nurse came back in and said that the fluid was not amniotic (YAY!) and the protein test showed that I would not go in to labor within the next 2 weeks (YAY again!).  So, all good news at this point!  We were so relieved and could actually hold in our tears long enough to smile for a picture!  Next, they wanted to do an ultrasound to make sure the baby was okay and to see if my cervix had began to thin out.  This was another sign of premature labor.  At about 2:15 they came and picked me up for the ultrasound.  First, we looked at my cervix and thankfully everything looked perfect!  The nurse actually said my cervix was “As long as the Mississippi” which meant I definitely hadn’t started thinning out yet.  Another positive!  Then we got to see baby Jameson!  He had both hands over his face but it was amazing how much different he looked since our last ultrasound in October!  You could see his fingers perfectly and he even moved a little so we could see his face for a second!  WOW!  Everything looked good with Jameson too, so we headed back to my room.  When we got there, Grandma Liz had arrived.  Mom called and told her what was going on and she insisted she come over although Mom told her not too!  I love my Grandma Liz!
                At about 3:45 they came in and said I could be released!  YIPPEE!  My doctor had determine from all my tests results, ultrasound and urine sample that I was getting a UTI which was causing my bladder and uterus to “quiver” causing the mini contractions and leaking.  She said it could also produce cramping so she gave me a prescription and told me to go home and rest.  I have to continue to monitor my symptoms and if things aren’t better by Monday then I need to call the nurse again.  WHEW!  Everything turned out to be okay and I just had a silly UTI!  I felt silly, but Jon reminded me that I called and told them my symptoms and if they weren’t concerned they wouldn’t have had me come in.  Plus, it’s better to be safe than sorry! 
                Thank you, God for answering all of our prayers!  We weren’t quite ready to meet Baby Jameson yet and hope that he can hang out in Mommy’s belly for the 10 more weeks he needs to!  Thank you, God for giving me an amazing Husband and Mother to be there for me no matter what!  I don’t know that I have ever seen either of them so upset and concerned for someone.  I couldn’t have done this without them!
The bands around my belly

Baby Jameson's heart monitor

Contraction monitor

Just received good news, now we can finally SMILE!

No comments:

Post a Comment