Saturday

37 Week Checkup! January 19, 2011

          Today was my 37 week checkup!  Wow, I can't believe I am already at 37 weeks!  Time flies!  When I arrived to the doctor's office I signed in and picked up my completed FMLA paperwork from the nurse.  They called me back and took my weight, blood pressure, and urine sample.  Weight - I lost 1 pound, and I'm not sure why!  This brings my total pregnancy weight gain to 13 lbs!  Blood pressure - 116 over 65 which is still good!  My urine sample still showed traces of a UTI but I'm already on medication for this!
          Dr. Ott wasn't supposed to do an exam on me this week but since I have been having some trouble with cramping, I've been so anxious, and there is a snowstorm headed in, she went ahead to ease my nerves!  This week I was still dilated 1 cm but I was 50% thinned out!  What does this mean?  I have no clue!  No, actually she said that although my cramping is probably due to Braxton Hicks contractions they have been doing some work and thinning me out.  She said whatever work I can do now will make it all the more easier for the BIG EVENT so it's good that we are seeing progress!  She also said that I was a little dehydrated (which seems impossible because it seems like I drink a gallon of water a day) and could be another reason for the cramping!  I think it's crazy because I can't tell you how many pregnant women I have seen drinking coke and caffeine and I am always drinking water!!!  I take 2 water bottles to work with me and usually end up buying 2 more while I'm at work, and that doesn't include the multiple glasses I drink in the evenings!  I would hate to imagine how deydrated I would be if I actually drank caffeine, sheesh! 
            Next, we listened to Baby Jameson's heartbeat, always one of my favorite parts!  It was 120 bpm today and Dr. Ott said it sounded great!  Then, she measured my belly and it was still right on track, 36 and 3/4 cm.  For those of you who are like my Husband and have no idea what this number is supposed to mean....the doctor measures from the top of your uterus (just below the rib cage) to your pelvic bone.  The length, in centimeters, should measure the same number of weeks you are!  Therefore, since I am 37 weeks my belly should measure around 37 cm!  Pretty neat, huh?!?!
           Next came a little bad news.....my GBS test from last week came back positive.  UGH!  I make it to 37 weeks with nothing but doctors visits filled with good news and they drop this on me!  But, Dr. Ott assured me that it was not a big deal at all.  I asked all the normal questions....What did I do to get it?  What causes it?  What are the risks?  How do we treat it?  Dr. Ott explained that this bacteria is present in 25% of pregnant women and there is no cause.  Actually, she said all women have the bacteria it just might not necessarily travel to the birth canal.  She also said that the bacteria can be present at some times but not others.  That is why they wait until 36 weeks to check you for it, because even if you tested positive at 10 weeks there is no guarantee it would still be there at 40 weeks!  Weird, I know!  Anyway, she said it really isn't a big deal when treated.  When I go into labor they will give me double doses of medicine to treat it so that I will not pass it on to Jameson.  If not treated, he would be at a much higher risk for pneumonia :(  She said that she has never witnessed a baby catching the bacteria if the mother was treated, so that was comforting!  So, I guess if this was the worst news I got, it still wasn't too bad!
            Dr.Ott spent a few minutes talking to me about my anxiety and labor.  I think she could tell that I am getting nervous about when the big day is going to arrive and how to know when to come in.  We discussed what to do, where to go, what to bring, and she assured me that everything was going to be ok.  The good news is Jameson is now considered FULL TERM!  This means that there is no reason to freak out if I go in to labor at this point because he should be perfectly fine!  Dr. Ott left the exam room with these words, "Hang in there Carly, your precious Baby Jameson is almost here!!!"  Uh, I just LOVE her!!!

Jameson at 37 weeks:
            According to my baby book, Jameson is now considered full term!  Even though my due date is 3 weeks away, if I go into labor now, his lungs will likely be mature enough to fully adjust to life outside the womb!  Jameson should weigh 6 and 1/3 pounds and measure over 19 inches! 

Symptoms:
            Well, I've been feeling really good and telling people that, but now it has come back to haunt me!  I still don't feel terrible but the last 3-4 days have been eye opening!  I went from feeling great to having very rough nights!  I still feel pretty good during the day but I have really been hurting and cramping at bedtime.  And, since I'm a first-timer, I spend half the night trying to figure out if it's just cramping or contractions and whether we should head to the hospital!  Last night I was up for over an hour in the living room drinking 3 glasses of water and trying to get comfortable in the recliner.  I determined that the cramping wasn't coming in consistent waves but was more of a constant mild cramping, which apparently means Braxton Hicks.  Finally, after about 2 hours my cramping calmed down and I was able to go back to bed.  I was relieved that today was my appointment because I got to talk to Dr. Ott about it. 
            Otherwise, I'm still doing pretty well during the day.  I can tell that Jameson is much lower now and I walk much slower at work!  But, again, not too many aches and pains until I go to bed!  I just keep in mind that it's all for a GREAT cause and I only have 3 weeks left!

Favorite Moments this Week:
            Jon had a basketball game Tuesday night.  When I got home from work that afternoon, Jon had received a package in the mail.  I decided not to open it because I figured it was something for basketball that he had ordered.  Mom and I headed to his game and when we returned later that night, Jon walked in and saw the box.  He started smiling and I looked at him and said, "What?  What is it?"  He said, "Oh, just something I ordered for Baby Jameson!"  I said, "Why didn't you tell me?"  He said, "Because, it was a surprise!"  So he opened the box and pulled out an adorable Boston Red Sox onesie, bib, pacifier, and bottle!  He was so excited about it and I thought it was pretty sweet too!


             

               Mom came to my work shower on Tuesday afternoon.  Although she has already spent WAY too much money on Baby Jameson she just had to bring a gift!  I opened this adorable magnetic picture frame from The Gift Horse.  I've looked at these frames several times over the years and they have them sitting out on display with a box full of magnets for people to play with.  So, as you can guess, every time you go in there someone has put a different name on the frame!  Well, after I opened it, Mom said, "So, have you been to the Gift Horse lately?"  I said, "No, not in a really long time."  She said, "Well, you aren't going to believe this but "Jameson" was the name that was already on it so I just figured you had been in there recently!"  I couldn't believe it!  Now I just wonder who put Jameson on the frame because it's not exactly the most common name!  So cute!


1 comment:

  1. I had GBS also, and everything was just fine. They gave me an IV when I checked in at the hospital, and that is the last I even thought about it. Don't stress about it! Enjoy these last couple of weeks! I truly miss being pregnant! And by the way, you look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete