Friday

Pre-Registering Baby Jameson! December 27, 2010

        Today I had an appointment to meet with a nurse to preregister for the big day! Jon had basketball and the nurse said it was not a necessity for him to come so I told him to go on to basketball and Jameson and I headed to the women's center! This meeting took about an hour and was somewhat overwhelming and hilarious so I wish I would have taken Jon up on the offer to come along! We went over SEVERAL bits of info and though the nurse was very sweet it was information OVERLOAD! She would pick up a paper from an enormous stack, discuss it, have me sign at the bottom and then throw a copy in my "Mommy copy bag"!  I could go on for days about the questions and discussion but here are just a few:
·         No jewelry during birth, but you can put it back on immediately after. I guess I’ll have to leave my chunky bracelets, silly bands (my students love them), and diamond encrusted necklaces at home, Haha!

·         You can have 4 people present during delivery! I’m planning on just Jon, Mom and Ann so this works for me!

·         Do you want Jameson circumcised? Yes, please!  We didn't really even consider the alternative but the nurse told me that we would need to ask our insurance company if they would cover the procedure because circumcisions are no longer more beneficial according to the medical experts!  Either way, we will pay if we need to because I think life will be a lot easier for Jameson if he is circumcised!

·         Do you want immediate skin-to-skin contact after delivery? This one both confused me and brought tears to my eyes.  I was sitting there thinking “Oh my goodness, this is something I am really going to be doing soon!”  She recommended skin-to-skin contact but I’m still not sure.  I think I would like for him to be cleaned up before they hand him to me, but I definitely want to see him first!  The clean up takes place in our room so it would only be a few minutes before they handed him to us!

·         Do you and your husband want an hour of alone time with baby before visitors? Since I’m assuming our families would be beating down the door to see him, I said no but then again, if I try breast feeding we will want to be alone for that!

·         You, daddy and baby will be wearing security bracelets that will chime when you are together or sound an alarm (and lock all exits) if the baby nears an exit or is not with the correct mommy or daddy! I LOVE THIS!  Every time Jameson is brought to us the bracelet will chime!  And I’m so thankful to know that no one else can just take him and walk out the door!  Thank God for security!

·         Are you going to breast feed?  Question of the year!  Haha! We are going to give this a try and see how it goes.  No pressure, if it doesn’t work he will be on Enfamil formula instead!

·         Bring your own pacifiers for baby!  The hospital is no longer providing pacifiers for the nursery so we have to decide which brand we want and bring our own!  We are going with Avent bottles so I'm assuming we will use the same pacifiers.

·         Ask all hospital staff involved before taking pictures that include them or before posting to Internet sites! We will definitely have cameras and the handy cam for Jameson’s arrival so I need to remember to do this!  Plus, I LOVE Dr. Ott so I will likely want a picture with her!

·         Have you had alcohol since conception? NO!

·         Street drugs including marijuana? NEVER!

·         Sexually transmitted diseases? Well, considering Jon and I have ONLY dated each other and we’ve been together for 13 years, I BETTER NOT!  Haha, I think I’m safe on this one :)

·         Heart conditions? Not that I’m aware of!

·         Allergic to any medications? Not that I’m aware of!

·         Pharmacy you want prescriptions sent to?  Henderson Rite Aid

·         Epidural? Is that even a question these days?  YES, YES, YES!  I told my doctor they could meet me in the parking lot with one!  I’m not going to try to be a toughie on this, pain is no fun!

·         Room service provided specifically for me when I want!  Nothing like putting in a special order and receiving it fresh within 25 minutes!  I wonder if they cater Panera?  HAHA!

       And the list could go on and on!  Of course there were also numerous papers asking for our info including Social Security Numbers, Date of Birth, birth place, professions, insurance, etc as well as info on registering for Jameson's birth certificate, social security number, newspaper announcements, hospital pictures, hearing tests, shots, and more!

       I honestly teared up several times during this meeting because I was thinking about how close we really are to Jameson’s arrival!!! It's so exciting, and honestly somewhat scary (just thinking about labor!) to know we will be parents soon!!! The nurse told me that they prefer Jameson stay in my belly until at least January 21st and if he decides to come any time after that they will be comfortable with it. So, our goal is at least 3 more weeks!  Eeeek, that's really soon! So exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment